Yugioh's advanced format as of September 1st 2010 (At least for the OCG)

Go down

Yugioh's advanced format as of September 1st 2010 (At least for the OCG)

Post  Jakeman on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:11 am

http://shriek.twoday.net/stories/6472439/

Banned:
Substitoad
Rescue Cat
Heavy Storm
Brain Control

@1
Trishula
Infernity Launcher
Black Whirlwind
Monster Reborn
Dark Hole
Royal Oppression

@2
Chaos Sorcerer
Snipe Hunter
Mystical Space Typhoon
Ojama Trio
Magic Cylinder

@3
Goblin Zombie
Cyber Dragon
Treeborn Frog
Black Rose Dragon
United We Stand
Royal Decree

Substitoad and Rescue Cat where severely broken and deserved being axed, BrainControl is the same but is less reliant on other cards.

Heavy Storm was quite possibly the most load-bearing card in the game, the ability to turn 1 set 4 backfield without protection is HUGE and very possibly will force the game into a very defensive state. This makes decks like Gladiator Beasts and Dandylion/Quickdraw that focus on small bursts of aggression while standing behind a stable wall of defense much more potent. Decks that are more the opposite and relay on Aggression to force players to waste defensive cards such as X-Sabers and most monarch variants however hurt tremendously from this. This is going to change yugioh.

Coming off the list is Monster Reborn and Dark Hole, Neither of these are as Game Changing as they once where, but I still feel that they should have stayed away (why wont they just give us multiple torrential tribute?) Dark Hole does stabilize the game in a way its very much needed it for a long time, forcing players to think a bit more before they summon there second Machina Fortress that turn, or turning 3 glads into Heraklinos even when otherwise it may not be a wise choice.

Infernity Launcher needed to go away, infernities shouldn't be able to do stuff like that.

TCG hasn't seen trishula yet but its quite ridiculous and did deserve limitation.

Blackwhirlwind is a reusable Rota for Blackwings, Blackwings are much more potent than any WarriorBox right now so this is definitely justified.

Royal Oppression some people disagree with, but even a horrible player can win with it on there field vs almost every popular archtype last format, and I expect will be the same next format. We are also going to be getting Vanity Space with the next set, which will change things even more.

MST should be at 3 rather than even two, its not unbalanced in the least. Chaos Sorcerer's +1 it usually gets on summon isn't as big of a deal as it used to be, and without Return or Dimension Fusion its not going to fuel any consistent OTK-ish decks.

Snipe Hunter I remember being quite horrifying when it was @3 per deck, I think the game has evolved past his usefulness (in the same way it has with Breaker and DDWarrior Lady) but I still have some concerns for its existence.

Ojama Trio and Magic Cylinder being @2 (along with Heavy Storm's axe) makes it seem like Konami is trying to make burn somewhat viable again, however since they seem to release at least one card for strictly anti-burn in every set, I doubt it will matter much. Ojama trio can have some potential uses in Gladiator Beasts.

from the cards that are no longer limited not a lot changes except Black Rose Dragon going to 3, this gives cards like Debris Dragon and Black Salvo MUCH more strength and quite possibly control the early meta of this format
Jakeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yugioh's advanced format as of September 1st 2010 (At least for the OCG)

Post  Trae5454 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 am

I love this list lol!
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakeman on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 am

I know right! it changes EVERYTHING.
Jakeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:34 am

<3 <3 I love you
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine-TSH on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:59 am

Jakeman wrote:http://shriek.twoday.net/stories/6472439/

Banned:
Substitoad
Rescue Cat
Heavy Storm
Brain Control

@1
Trishula
Infernity Launcher
Black Whirlwind
Monster Reborn
Dark Hole
Royal Oppression

@2
Chaos Sorcerer
Snipe Hunter
Mystical Space Typhoon
Ojama Trio
Magic Cylinder

@3
Goblin Zombie
Cyber Dragon
Treeborn Frog
Black Rose Dragon
United We Stand
Royal Decree

Substitoad and Rescue Cat where severely broken and deserved being axed, BrainControl is the same but is less reliant on other cards.

Heavy Storm was quite possibly the most load-bearing card in the game, the ability to turn 1 set 4 backfield without protection is HUGE and very possibly will force the game into a very defensive state. This makes decks like Gladiator Beasts and Dandylion/Quickdraw that focus on small bursts of aggression while standing behind a stable wall of defense much more potent. Decks that are more the opposite and relay on Aggression to force players to waste defensive cards such as X-Sabers and most monarch variants however hurt tremendously from this. This is going to change yugioh.

Coming off the list is Monster Reborn and Dark Hole, Neither of these are as Game Changing as they once where, but I still feel that they should have stayed away (why wont they just give us multiple torrential tribute?) Dark Hole does stabilize the game in a way its very much needed it for a long time, forcing players to think a bit more before they summon there second Machina Fortress that turn, or turning 3 glads into Heraklinos even when otherwise it may not be a wise choice.

Infernity Launcher needed to go away, infernities shouldn't be able to do stuff like that.

TCG hasn't seen trishula yet but its quite ridiculous and did deserve limitation.

Blackwhirlwind is a reusable Rota for Blackwings, Blackwings are much more potent than any WarriorBox right now so this is definitely justified.

Royal Oppression some people disagree with, but even a horrible player can win with it on there field vs almost every popular archtype last format, and I expect will be the same next format. We are also going to be getting Vanity Space with the next set, which will change things even more.

MST should be at 3 rather than even two, its not unbalanced in the least. Chaos Sorcerer's +1 it usually gets on summon isn't as big of a deal as it used to be, and without Return or Dimension Fusion its not going to fuel any consistent OTK-ish decks.

Snipe Hunter I remember being quite horrifying when it was @3 per deck, I think the game has evolved past his usefulness (in the same way it has with Breaker and DDWarrior Lady) but I still have some concerns for its existence.

Ojama Trio and Magic Cylinder being @2 (along with Heavy Storm's axe) makes it seem like Konami is trying to make burn somewhat viable again, however since they seem to release at least one card for strictly anti-burn in every set, I doubt it will matter much. Ojama trio can have some potential uses in Gladiator Beasts.

from the cards that are no longer limited not a lot changes except Black Rose Dragon going to 3, this gives cards like Debris Dragon and Black Salvo MUCH more strength and quite possibly control the early meta of this format

I want to agree to disagree with you. I think the list for the most part is pretty amazing (although at first I was somewhat hesitant) but your outlook on Monster Reborn being "not game changing" is a little off kilter. Monster Reborn (like Brain Control) is sacky as shit. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Monster Reborn top deck victory for the win. Same as Brain.

Heavy Storm was to me a double edged sword. Your opponent can often times create a lock with trap, spell and monster card combos that has you yearning to top deck that Heavy in order to get out of a clench. I don't think that it's dependance is geared towards a good or bad player either. It was solid at one and to me did not deserve the ban hammer. PRO HEAVY STORM

Dark Hole wtf....wtf....Dark Hole wtf??? Sure it isn't as impressive as I'm sure it once was (especially now due to Starlight Road) but it's still devistating. You mentioned explosive aggro decks will falter this format but in my opinion Dark Hole is the ace up there sleeve. There is going to be alot of first turn Dark Holes being held, until your opponent can gain enough ground to make a solid swarm. Now you can argue that with Battle Fader and other special summoned battle changers there will be less OTK variants in the format. I agree with you, but it doesn't make Dark Hole any less sacky...it didn't need to make a come back.

Brain Control as far as I'm control is just as sacky as Monster Reborn. Once again I've seen countless matches get the tide turned by a top deck Brain Control. However, you have an 800 life point cost and your opponent gets that card back at the end phase. Two conditions that don't always seem too favorable. Unlike Monster Reborn that if I have 200 Life Points, with no monsters, no hand and no defense I can Monster Reborn your Collosal Fighter and start my onslaught. Costs me nothing, you do not pass go and you do not collect $200.

(((((( MONSTER REBORN IS NOT THE JESUS CARD )))))))....or is it!

You are spot on about this format I think it is going to be alot slower and I actually like that. Althought shitty players who slow play your ass is going to push alot of games into time which I absolutely fkn despise. You know who you are you slow players of the world. Dandy and Glads are going to make some interesting strides with Glads being the most supported. First turn Laquarit set 4 cards on the back row and end for the win.

I noticed how you seemed to overlook Cyber Dragon back at 3...what! Cyber Dragon at 3...AMAZING. I'm already planning on building me a nice little machine deck that doesn't have the annoying ass gadget brothers hogging all the fun. Two Magic Cylinders....man I can't tell you how happy I am about that. Especially with a slower format and no Heavy it's almost going to be impossible not to run face first into a 3000 point Cylinder...Red Dragon For the LOSE.

All in all i'm excited about this format. Hoping some old archetypes like Spellcasters or something get some good support or deck variant. With Monster reborn back Endymion, The Master Magician and Magical Stone Excavation sounds like good cards!

Kaine-
Team Blackout
cheers
Kaine-TSH
Admin

View user profile http://splatterhouse.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Vanilla fox on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Rescue cat, our time together was far too short, but alas, you were freaking broken. Perhaps I'll see you again in the spring, where you'll be bolstering extra pack sales in the ocg.

I personally think this list is great. I understand and agree with every alteration made, save monster reborn. Reborn is an incredibly uneven card, and (in my eyes) far more unhealthy for the game than brain control. Practically anything b-con could do, reborn does better. I'm just glad they are not legal together again.
Vanilla fox
Admin

View user profile http://www.splatter-house.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine-TSH on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:04 am

We sorrowfully mourne the loss of a fellow comrade in battle......Rescue Cat *sniffle*
Kaine-TSH
Admin

View user profile http://splatterhouse.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:42 am

Well miss u No
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vanilla fox on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:04 am

BTW, this is officially the tcg list aswell, with the addition of dewloren semi limited.
Vanilla fox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 am

its guna b a great format when skill will definatly shine king
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vanilla fox on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:16 am

Yeah bro!! About time we had a skill format!! Smile
Vanilla fox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:18 am

Yea man no doubt! king
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jacksonludin on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:33 am

ill miss all of these cards
cat u were a staple in my first real winning deck
substitoad you were part of my last
brain and heavy you were theyre the whole time

however i get to play a new kind of format one where cards ive never seen befor ein legality
DARK HOLE! omg amazing ive also never seen 2 mst or ojama trio nore 3 frog or cydra i belive skill will be the key component in this format
also id like to welcome back double sorc and reborn i missed you guys
welcome to a great format guys may the best player win

Jacksonludin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Yea man! I feel ya king
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vanilla fox on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:48 am

I just realized we have call and reborn! That's gotta be abusable somehow...
Vanilla fox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:54 am

Hell yea! king
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakeman on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:21 am

Monster Reborn really doesn't seem to be as game breaking anymore, aside from Synchro monsters there really aren't anything huge you bring back and honestly I've come pretty close to opting away from running it for cards that are going to be useful more often.

Although I have not been able to completely justify that as of yet.
Jakeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:23 am

yea man i agree but im prolly guna always run it this format cuz its just a rele good card. king
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakeman on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 am

I also don't think MST is that relevant anymore, I would rather run trap stun and breaker as they're much more versatile (and honestly less luck-based) cards.

I think the game has evolved past the usefulness of it.
Jakeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:05 am

I still like mst as an endphase play more then a random guess king
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jakeman on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:14 am

Using breaker takes up a normal summon, but is usually going to eat up a BTH, or going to +1, both of which are very excellent conclusions also he's a spellcaster allowing a strong Archanite play.

Trap Stun is almost always going to chain to another trap, evening itself out (or its being played preemptively, almost always to create room for a tempo swing) again, always an excellent conclusion.

MST is going to stop a single random spell/trap card before your opponent gets a chance to play it, or its going to chain to a continuous card. With the loss of Heavy Storm its much more common to have 2-4 spells/traps in play at any given time thus greatly reducing your chance of actually hitting something relevant to the situation, in testing, I just don't think that's worth it.
Jakeman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trae5454 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 am

Yes I'm aware I play breaker and trap stun they r both excellent I was just sayin I lik mst. king
Trae5454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down